So here it is:
You might taking scouting to serious if.....
- most of your wardrobe is olive drab or khaki.
- you keep a lantern hanging outside your bathroom door.
- you cannot walk by a piece of trash without picking it up.
- you carry a dufflebag size first-aid kit in your car.
- you always cook enough food for twelve.
- you have the urge to help little old ladies ... whether they want it or not.
- you know 100 uses for a bandana.
- someone asks for a volunteer and you find your hand is already in the air.
- you correct someone who says "Gee, I used to be an Eagle Scout/Girl Scout", and then get him/her to volunteer in your Troop.
- you always have a boy/girl registration and adult leader application in your bag. And you have to keep replacing them.
- you are proud of the mentors your sons/daughters have found.
- you say "signs up" in a business meeting to quiet everyone down.
- you find yourself discussing the relative merits of internal vs. external frame packs on a date.
- you have a special woven belt loop cup holder.
- you spontaneously break into strange songs in public.
- your radio is always tuned to the weather station.
- you horde tent stakes.
- you know all the words to Little Bunny Foo-Foo, but can't remember your anniversary.
- you have something on your shoe...and you're sure it's only mud.
- you have to go to the restroom and you start looking for a buddy.
- you tie your shoe and check the handbook to se if it can go toward earning a badge.
- you miss "cargo pockets."
- you really love your self-inflating sleep pad.
- you deeply understand the potential of a group working together
- you know you have brothers all over the world.
- You have your own desk & filing cabinet just for scout related paperwork.
- If your calendar is full of meetings that you never forget, but can't remember to send a birthday card to your brother-in-law on time.
- If you have the local BSA office on speed dial.
- People don't recognize you when you're not in uniform.
- if your gourmet meal consists of cornbread, "Spam," and bug-juice...
- if you've ever heard the phrase, "Trust me, it's only an hour a week!!"...
- if your "family vacation" includes 30 kids your wife/husband doesn't know...
- You are in a large group of people and someone tries to talk And you hold up the Scout sign to get them to quiet down.
- Instead of building a fence around the yard with nails and wood, You lash it with poles and rope.
- Instead of teaching your 1 yr. old son his ABC’s You teach him the Scout Law and the Scout Oath
- A stranger asks for directions to a public restroom and you hand him a trowel and give him detailed instructions in the fine art of digging a kitty hole.
- Derby Day has nothing to do with Kentucky or horses. It's all about a 5 oz block of wood and a ramp.
- And the number one way you can tell if you are a Scouter is: You take your own bag of Trails End, Butter Microwave Popcorn to the movies and ask the guy behind the counter to put it in the microwave for 2m, 33s exactly.
Yours in Scouting Service
Junior Assistant Scoutmaster