- Raise Scout Sign: To get the scouts attention and to try to get them to stop talking
- Raise Scout Sign with verbal reminders: Raise the Scout Sign to get attention and then remind individual scouts to stop talking.
- Raise Scout Sign with stern verbal reminders: Raise the Scout Sign to get attention and then in a near yelling voice get the scouts to be quiet. (This is the normal stage we get to before we even get there attention. I do agree that yelling is not appropriate but what can you do if it is the only thing that works.)
- Send another youth leader to get adult and still have the SPL have the Scout Sign Raised: More often than not the adults can keep some order but still requires a lot of work.
- Involve Parents: Haven't gotten this far but I think I may have to with some of the scouts in order to keep sane. I do not like involving parents because it only causes more problems for the scout but I am beginning to think that this may be necessary.
Yours in Scouting Service
Junior Assistant Scoutmaster