Wednesday 20 February 2008

February 19, 2008 After Meeting Review

Well during tonights meeting we had to throw out the original plan because of the fact that the Communications Merit Badge Counselor showed up and we decided that since so many of the boys who were working on the badge were their tonight we might as well take advantage of the resource. I being a Eagle have already earned Communications and had the privilage of working with the new scouts on advancement. I basically sat all the new scouts down and then tried to figure out the best way to ensure that everyone's needs were meet since, the scouts were at various differnet stages. One the scouts I sent to work with a adult, on getting first aid requirements signed off and then the other three stayed with me and worked on knots. One thing that I wanted to do with a brand new scout, that started just this week was to give him a introduction to the Troop but it sounds like his dad knows a lot about the program, since he was a scout, so I am not overly concerned but this but will rectify the problem as soon as possible. This week the SPL worked on the Communications MB and finished early, so he came out and helped the JASM, which is me with getting scouts to get some of the knots down. I really liked some of the methods he used when teaching the knots. Knots are sometimes hard to teach if you can not verbalize how to tie it. Even if I did verbalize the steps, I have to make sure they are steps that everyone can understand. I am glad the SPL stepped up and took charge of teaching some of the scouts, it was very much appreciated. We decided that we would look into going to a ski resort for our March outing, a Scout was assigned to get details and prices.

Yours in Scouting Service
Mark W
Junior Assistant Scoutmaster
Troop 1616

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews