- Water instead of soda: -150 calories (12 oz. serving)
- Pretzels instead of chips: -80 calories (2 oz. serving)
- “Light butter” instead of “movie theater butter” microwave popcorn: -75 calories (5 cups)
- Skim milk instead of whole: -60 calories (1 cup)
- Whole-grain Fig Newtons instead of Chips Ahoy: -60 calories (per serving)
- Subway Turkey Sandwich instead of McDonald’s Quarter Pounder With Cheese: -300 calories
Here are some camp food ideas:
- Healthy trail mixes: dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and a healthy cereal (Grape Nuts or Kashi, for example)
- Lowfat stews made with lean protein and veggies
- Beans and rice
- Fish or lean meat with vegetables in a foil pocket
- Oatmeal with dried fruit and skim milk
- Adding 5 to 10 grams of soluble fiber to your daily diet will reduce LDL (“bad”) cholesterol by 5 percent.
- Adding a daily dose of 2 to 3 grams of plant-derived stanol and sterol esters (a supplement found in foods such as yogurt, orange juice, and margarine products) typically lowers LDL by 6 to 15 percent.
- Adding fruits and vegetables, reducing sodium and alcohol intake, and increasing physical activity will reduce blood pressure by 2 to 14 mmHg.
Yours in Scouting Service
Great Alaska COuncil
Eagle Scout OA Brotherhood Member
NSJ '05 WSJ '07 '11 Philmont AA '08