Thursday 9 July 2009

Journey from JASM to ASM

Well just a little less than a week ago my Troop returned from summer camp on the fourth of july. Summer camp for my Troop was held at our councils primary summer camp facility for Boy Scouts known as Camp Gorsuch. Camp Gorsuch is basically 20 minutes of anchorage, alaska in a little place called chugiak alaska. This camp sits on the Rasmuson Scout Reservation right all Mirror Lake. The camp is relatively small when comparing it to lower 48 Boy Scout summer camps but it suits our council just fine. The Troop had a awesome time their and I think that every scout that went will want to come back next year. The one problem I had was getting the youth to understand that I am know a adult leader in the Troop and need to be treated in a adult like fashion. This is very hard for youth to understand especially when not very long ago I was just one of the boys. The boys really enjoy playful teasing and roughousing so it was sometimes hard for me to establish the boundaries of when it is and is not appropriate to mess around with me. This was hard not only for the boys but for me as well because I want the boys to like me but I also know that I need to grow up some more and take on a full fledged role as a respected adult leader in the Troop.

Yours in Scouting Service
Mark W
Assistant Scoutmaster
Troop 1616
Great Alaska COuncil
Eagle Scout OA Brotherhood Member
NSJ '05 WSJ '07 '11 Philmont AA '08

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews